Parenting, like marriage, is one of the areas that many fantasize about and have unrealistic expectations of. I want to tender my confession as being one of those who expected to sail through both but realized that it is involves less of self, and more of others.
Clearly my expectations were not met, and shock is definitely not the adjective I’d use to describe my feelings when I realized this. The inspiration for this post came from a generally insignificant incident in the family bathroom. Yes! We have a single bathroom for my three kids and I, insanity IS the word! And, mine is highly at stake…
This caused me to calculate most of the losses I am gonna have to ACCEPT and ACKNOWLEDGE about being a mother, this excludes the loss of my heart, mind and sleep!
My lost privileges:
- Drinking and finishing my cup of coffee, without forgetting about it because I have to stop a fight; forgot where I left it or ran to wipe a face!
- Eating and enjoying a meal without having to get up and help with one or the other.
- Wearing make-up without having to explain, WHY!
- Reading a book which no one has scribbled in!
- Receiving guests without having to whirl through the house to remove toys, books,etc.
- Having a conversation on the phone without SOMEONE asking whom I am talking to.
- Take a long leisurely bath with no interruption.
- My pre-baby figure
- Finding out who pinched the gum from my bag!
- Television remote control!
I might as well add that this list is but a drop in the bucket, it is infinitely endless, but without my musketeers my life would be dull and empty!