I hope this post sounds ominous!
But, it’s truly an innocent replay of last Friday; and how I forgot to save the brilliant post about Parenting Perfection! Two things I did learn however about parenting is that:
- Everyone has their own idea about what works best for their family!
- Some of our parenting fraternity don’t want the headache of disciplining their kids!
I am the mother of good intentions; but it all went south when my master plan went belly up! My total mission was to spend the afternoon at the laundry and write at least ONE inspired post for my blog. However, on arrival I found all machines in use which meant I had to wait or return later; I chose to stay. Whilst waiting I started chatting to the only other customer there, a mother of two teenagers. Our conversation obviously revolved around our children and the things they get up to.
Her parenting strategy is to “negotiate”! The expression on my face didn’t speak of joy and my face cannot hide my feelings, so I guess she saw my surprise and utter shock! She explained how she deals with her teens and reach a compromise with them, to enter a state of Nirvana. My Christian heart recalled to the best parenting advise the Bible has, which requires the least spiritual depth; “Chastise your son..” (Proverbs 19:18) My crazy lady thoughts of “Not in my house!; That ain’t gonna happen on my shift!; Over my dead body!” The list is endless and exceedingly colorful! But, the very composed me allowed her to elaborate on how well it works; up to the stage where she contradicted herself and mentioned the problems. I sympathised with her but really thought that she was setting herself up for major headache. My plan to wash, rinse, dry and blog started taking on a different direction altogether! I shared my experience with her as a mother and teacher; and could see that she figured I am a control freak, but I’d rather be that; then wait up for a fifteen year old to return home well after midnight!
She got busy with her laundry and I tackled mine and started writing my post about Parenting Perfection.
Here’s everything that it is not:
- Parenting perfection does not exist; it is not even an imaginary state of mind. It’s a bunch of lies we tell each other to look and feel good about his we deal with our offspring.
- There are no perfect parents, dead or alive!
- The stories we tell each other about our parenting methods, often edit out the mistakes and guilt we experience.
- Judging another as ‘bad’ isn’t fair. To a child that is their parent – sober, depressed, divorced, etc.
- The methods which I employ in raising my kids, might be totally unacceptable in your opinion – our own experience is our guide.
- The best things we can all teach our children is Respect, Love, Humility, and other common values that will prepare them for life.
- There’s no Black & White in parenting and no manual to do it by.
- Dealing with the nasty is way better than a sleepless night.
- Prayer changes us and how we regard things.
Parenting Perfection is attained when we acknowledge, our propensity to imperfection.