I was compelled to come up with bread rolls, after running out of bread for the umpteenth time!
Truth be told I hastily threw the dry ingredients in a bowl and only remembered that I should’ve added some oil! But here goes…
4 cups cake flour
2 cups brown bread flour
10g yeast (sachet)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 liter warm water
2 tablespoons oil
1. Place all dry ingredients in a deep bowl (TUPPERWARE absolute MUST) and whisk with a fork or by hand to mix and incorporate air.
2. Make a well in the centre and pour half of the water and mix lightly, by hand, adding more water as it gets absorbed.
3. Work swiftly but lightly, until all the water has been incorporated and a soft, but not runny dough is formed.
4. Knead for 3-5 minutes and cover with fitted lid.
5. Leave to prove till the lid POPS off!
6. Knead and pour oil onto your hands to incorporated into dough. Leave yo prove.
7. Preheat your oven on 70 degrees Celsius. Prepare a pan and spread with butter/ margarine.
8. The lid should’ve popped a second time! Make equal sized balls, and place close together on the prepared pan.
9. Place in oven and leave to rise till double in size.
10. Remove, cover and keep in a warm place. Increase oven heat up 170 degrees Celsius.
11. Bake till brown and sounds hollow when tapped, baking time 20-25 minutes. Yields about 15 buns.
12. Delicious and filling!